Thursday, November 3, 2016

Story: Alice Down the Rabbit-Hole


Alice and her sister sat outside of their house while their mother made lunch. It was a hot summer day and the girls were bored out of their mind. “Let’s play house!” Alice’s sister suggested. “But house is boring,” Alice insisted, “let’s play it but with a twist.” The sisters created a game that was a combination of hide and seek and house.  Alice’s sister, Jamie, had to find Alice in order to play the game.  What Jamie did not realize was there was a secret door on the side of their house. Alice was looking high and low for a good hiding spot. She wanted Jamie to be looking for her for hours! She put her back against the wall and suddenly the wall started shifting. The ground around her moved in a circle, and was flipped to the other side of the wall.

“Where am I?” Alice shouted.  Jamie could hear her shouting; she just did not know where it was coming from. “Alice, where are you?” Jamie shouted back. But Alice did not hear her. A little rabbit had come up to Alice and started talking about a million words per minute. “Whoa whoa whoa. Slow down! What are you in such a rush for?” Alice questioned. “Don’t you see?” The rabbit answered, “YOU are LATE.” The rabbit grabbed Alice’s hand and they quickly ran down the hallway.


The rabbit showed her a world that Alice had never been in. Her room had turned into a garden full of mysterious looking mushrooms and trees. Where her dining room should have been, was a large garden tea party. She recognized her house, but everything just seemed a bit different. “Is this my house?” Alice asked the rabbit. He snickered. “Well, of course. Where else do you think you should be at this time?” The rabbit answered. They walked into the garden party. It quickly turned out to be the weirdest thing Alice had ever seen in her life.  There was an animal wearing a hat yelling out some strange phases. The second Alice walked in, the whole room looked at her. “LATE.” “Where have YOU been?” “Nice of you to join us, finally.” They all shouted. “Excuse me?” Alice replied. “I don’t even know who you are!” The bickering went back and forth for a bit. 

Alice felt so attacked by these people that she quickly turned around and ran away. But the way she walked in was not there anymore, instead she ran into a rather large creature who only spoke in riddles. “Please, I just need to find my way out of here.” Alice pleaded with the creature. “Well, I suppose you COULD go that way. But if you went the other way it would also get you home. Definitely don’t go straight, nobody ever knows what is going on over there.” He rambled on and on without giving any information. Alice sat down and cried. She was never going to get back home and she would be stuck here forever. Alice walked over to a very large mushroom and decided to take a nap under it. When she woke up, everything was a dream. Jamie was asleep beside her and their mother was still making lunch. Everything was not as it seemed!

Author's Note: I kept this very true to the original story. The only difference is I added her sister, Jamie, and a game they were playing. I also did not have Alice fall down a hole, but instead she found a secret door inside her house! This was fun in my imagination because it was just like a house that had turned into a forest. 

Bibliography: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, link to online reading.

Image: Garden from Wiki Commons. 

4 comments:

  1. This story is defiantly a twist from the Alice in Wonderland I remembered. I like the reason that she "fell in the hole" changed into a door on the side of the house when she was trying to hide from her sister! It is so creative that you came up with a way that changed her house to still be the setting of the story. You did a great job and I can't wait to read more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Haley, this was a very nice story. I really like how you made them rethink about the game and adding a twist to it. I really felt that I was inside the story as I read and I think this is because of your creative way of writing. I think also the fact that you added a lot of dialogue in the story made it much more mysterious. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your future stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, this is really well done! I'm doing Alice in Wonderland so I have been in the thick of Alice's world for a while now so it's nice to get out of my own brain and see what someone else does with her story. And this was a very cool way to adapt Alice's story into the craziness that is Wonderland while still maintaining the integrity of the story. Very very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh I liked the secret door thing, rather than falling down the rabbit hole. I also enjoyed the realism of being bored, and having trouble deciding on a game. I’m sad that all any of the party guests said to Alice was that she was late☹. I wish I new more about the rather large creature. What does he look like? Is he scary, or lovable looking?

    ReplyDelete