Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Story: Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp

Hundreds of years ago, there lived a boy named Gene. Gene was sarcastic and hilarious, meaning people loved to have fun around him. He lived his life to the fullest and was a friend to everyone he met. Gene married his wife and eventually had many children. One day while Gene was walking to the store, a huge thunderstorm covered the town. He began to jog a little to avoid the rain, but made his situation worse. Gene was struck by lightning and it shook every ounce of his being. The lightning electrocuted him and turned him into a superhuman. He quickly evaporated into a nearby lamp and fell asleep.

A few hours later, Gene woke up to a large jolt. “Where am I? What is going on?” He walked around in this dark place until he found a match. Striking the match on the wall, he guided himself around the room until he found an oil-burning candle. Inside the room, there were a million books and jewels. Gene picked up a notebook that was on the bed and began reading. The journal described what had happened to Gene. Essentially, Gene was chosen to be a Genie. Genies were known to be the nicest and most helpful people on the Earth. In a way, he was happy, but he was also very sad. The book told him that he would be stuck in the lamp until someone rubbed it and asked for something. The genie knew he would be here for a while, so he studied the journal and books more.
A few hours later, the storeowner was cleaning the lamps. He reached for the genies lamp, but noticed something different about it. Once he started to clean it, the genie appeared. Frightened, the store owner shouter “Who are you?” The genie calmly responded and explained who he was. The storeowner was delighted to hear of the wishes. He wished for money so he could stop working. The genie immediately granted it. He then wished for a boat so he could travel. The genie walked him to the ocean, where the storeowner saw his new boat. The owner then asked for the boat to take him to the most exotic places. The genie granted this wish and said farewell to owner.


Genie returned to his lamp and once again picked up a book. After 30 days, the genie was finally released again. This time was different. The boy, named Aladdin wished for the genie to be his forever and always grant him wishes. The genie agreed because Aladdin was so kind. Genie and Aladdin shortly became the best of friends. They spent every hour of everyday together. Aladdin told the genie of the princess that lived in the palace and how much he loved her. One day, Aladdin and the genie plotted out a brilliant plan. Aladdin would dress up as a prince and fool the princess into thinking he was royalty. After this, the princess would want to marry Aladdin. Their brilliant plan worked, and no one ever learned the truth about Aladdin. Even if he was a poor boy from the streets, no one ever knew. Aladdin lived to be the greatest ruler of all time with his best friend, Genie, by his side the whole time.

Author's Note: It was really hard to differentiate this from Disney's Aladdin and the story Aladdin. Something I have always wondered is where did the Genie come from? I know that him being struck by lightning was a little dramatic, but I wanted to show how he got his super powers. In the original story, Aladdin finds the genies lamp in a cave. I left that part out because most people have their own idea of Aladdin and how he found the lamp. 

Bibliography:The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang, link to the reading online.

Image: Inside the genies lamp from Domythic Bliss


5 comments:

  1. Haley, I really enjoyed your story! I thought it was so creative that he was hit by lightening and that's how he became a genie. I haven't see the movie Aladdin since I was really little, but when I read the first paragraph it immediately reminded me of that movie. I'm happy that you kept the story surrounding the genie and Aladdin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how you mixed the traditional genie with a superhuman. I think the idea is a great modern twist on an old character! It was a great idea to give a backstory to the genie (because lets be real, thats the best part of Aladdin!) Overall I think you had a really great story! It was a fun modern take on what a genie is and it had me wishing I could live in a lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haley,

    I like how you gave us a backstory on the creation of the Genie. Aladdin was one of my favorite Disney movies and I appreciate the effort you went through to try to differentiate this story from the one that I know and love. What ever happened to Gene's family? Will he ever see them again? It is truly sad, how someone so unlucky could be blessed with unimaginable powers only to lose all that he previously had in the process.

    This was a great story, I look forward to reading your others in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haley, your story immediately starts off with action and I love this! I like stories that have an interesting introduction because it is important to reel in the reader at the beginning, so they aren't bored for the rest of the time. You accomplished this very well. I was previously familiar with the story of Aladdin, but I like how you put your own twist on it and made it into a more modern story. I look forward to reading the other stories that you will write!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story was great. Aladdin is one of my favorites and I have also always wondered where the genie came from so I am happy you gave him his own story. I also liked that you showed him granting wishes to the store owner before even meeting Aladdin. I also like how you gave him "superpowers" because that makes him more human than just a mysterious creature.

    ReplyDelete