Sunday, August 28, 2016

Wikipedia Trail: From the 19th Amendment to English Americans


After reading Friday's course announcements, I was really interested in the 19th amendment. I had no idea that Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton were no longer alive when it was ratified. This got me to thinking: "What else do I not know about the 19th amendment?" And that's where my Wikipedia Trail begins.

I read about these two incredible women and how they worked for future generations. Two women changed the world forever! Their names are so famous, but I still wanted to know more. I clicked on Elizabeth Cady Stanton because I feel like I know significantly more about Susan B. Anthony. Elizabeth Cady Stanton is incredible. She had seven children! She also had 11 brothers and sisters, so she's no stranger to a huge family. Her father was an attorney, so I think that is where she got her determination from. When she got married, she refused to go by "Mrs. Henry B. Stanton" because she was an individual person. (I love her.)

Elizabeth lived near Ralph Waldo Emerson while she lived in Boston, so he is our next step. Mr. Emerson is famous for being an author and poet. After reading a bit about his life, I laughed a little because he proposed to his wife over a letter. Extremely different from our world today. ;) I think it is perfect though since he is an author!

After reading about Ralph Waldo Emerson's ancestry, I clicked on English Americans. According to the 2010 census, almost 26 million people are English Americans! It also talked about how our Founding Fathers were all English Americans. I loved this Wiki page because it told you the top 10 states with the English American population and the last 10! So interesting. California is #1 if you were wondering! :)

Image: Elizabeth Cady Stanton from her Wikipedia page.

No comments:

Post a Comment